Public Works
The Public Works Department provides many essential town services, such as building maintenance, snow removal, street maintenance, street cleaning, and traffic sign repair. Additional responsibilities include oversight of street light repair and waste management.

Mission Statement

The Bladensburg Department of Public Works (DPW) mission is to keep the town clean and well maintained.  Our goal is to provide a wide range of environmentally friendly services to support and enhance the quality of life of our residents, businesses and visitors.  We are committed to delivering prompt, efficient customer service with a positive attitude; and working together collaboratively to ensure the Town of Bladensburg is a safe, secure and thriving community.

Responsibilities of the Department of Public Works

The Department of Public Works provides services to our citizens through:

  • Building & Grounds Maintenance
  • Seasonal Leaf Collection
  • Signs
  • Snow Removal
  • Storm Water Management
  • Street Maintenance/Litter pick up
  • Waste Collection

Waste, Recycling & Pickup Information

  • Monday: Yard waste must be placed into paper yard waste bags or a trash can marked with an X. Brush has to be tied up in a bundle weighing no more than 25-30LBS per bundle.
  • Tuesday: Household Trash, & building materials generated by homeowners only!
  • Wednesday: Recycling
  • Friday: Household Trash & Bulk Trash 

NOTICE: If you as the home owner/renters has work done by a contractor it’s the contractor responsibility to haul away any material/waste.

  • Yard waste must be placed in brown yard waste paper bags or in a trash can marked with an “X”.
  • Tree limbs are also collected on Monday and have to be tied up in a bundle NO more than 3 feet long and weighing no more than 35 lbs.
  • Wednesday: Recycling.  Acceptable Items for single stream Recycling are listed below.

  1. Flattened Cardboard
  2. Magazines
  3. Office Paper
  4. Junk Mail
  5. Paperboard
  6. Brown Paper Bags
  7. Newspapers
  8. Plastic Bottles
  9. Glass bottles
  10. Glass Jars
  11. Aluminum Cans
  12. Aluminum Foil
  13. Pie Tins
  14. Steel Cans
  15. Empty Aerosol

Friday (Bulk Trash every Friday) In order to be added to the Town of Bladensburg bulk trash list you have to call (301)773-2069 on Thursday before 2:00 pm. No more than (4) items.

Friday Condominiums pick-up (If you have items to put by your dumpster you don’t have to call for Bulk Trash pick-up. Public Works picks-up Condominiums every Friday, weather permitted.

Motor Vehicle Batteries and Tires are also picked up on Fridays.

Any hazardous Materials please call 301-883-5045 for schedule and locations.

To request a Recycle Container, please call Prince George’s County at 311.  The Town of Bladensburg provides (1) Trash Container with the Town logo, to new residents.  Residents can call the Town Hall at 301-927-7048 or Public Works at 301-927-1452.

Landfill Locations

Ritchie Landfill Reclamation
2001 Ritchie Marlboro Rd.
Upper Marlboro, MD
(301) 350-4059

Prince George’s County Western
6550 E. Crain Hwy
Upper Marlboro, MD
(301) 627-6388

Brown Station Rd
Sanitary Landfill
3560 Brown Station Rd.
Upper Marlboro, MD
(301) 952-7625

Always keep in mind if there is a rescheduling due to inclement weather/ Holidays the service will continue the following work day. During Inclement weather stay tuned to the Bladensburg cable channel/ Website.

Snow-IcePicV1Snow / Ice Removal

The Town of Bladensburg is responsible for providing passable conditions over a network of almost 30 miles of Town maintained roadways. The Public Works Department is responsible for clearing roadways including plowing, salting, or sanding, as warranted by weather conditions.

Property owners, Commercial properties and Apartments are responsible for the removal of snow and ice from sidewalks along their property within 24 hours after precipitation has stopped. Please do NOT shovel the snow/ice back into the street.
Always try to park you vehicles as close to the curb as possible so the plow trucks can operate safely.

Storm Water Management
Storm drains within the Town of Bladensburg are maintained by the Prince George’s County storm water management. Dial 3-1-1. Although the Town of Bladensburg Public Works Department makes sure the top grate is clear of any debris or litter especially during rain storms.

PotHolePicV1-300x217Help keep our waterways clean. DO NOT LITTER.

Reporting Street Hazards or Potholes

Potential hazardous street conditions and potholes are made safe by making temporary repairs to the affected area. Permanent repairs will be completed as funds become available.

To report a potential hazard on the Town rights-of-way, which involves sidewalks, curb & gutter, or uneven pavement surfaces, please call (301) 927-1452.

Street Light Repairs
Once street lights are installed, they are maintained by the utility companies. As a result, burned-out or damaged street lights should be reported to the utility company serving the area. This is usually the same company serving your home with electricity. The utility companies prefer for residents to report street light problems directly to their offices since residents are in a better position to provide the necessary information needed to address the problem.

Contact Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO) – 1-877-PEPCO-62 (1-877-737-2662).

You can also report an issue at
When calling please have the following information

  • Utility pole number (#); and or
  • Closest Address to where the light is not working.

Street Maintenance

The Public Works Department maintains all roads within the Town of Bladensburg including:

  • Repainting yellow curbs every summer; and
  • Maintaining and repairing all Stop Signs, Street Signs and Crosswalks.

Litter Pick Up

The Public Works Department picks up all Litter and debris on Town maintained streets. If litter or debris is on private property, removal is the responsibility of the property owner.

It is illegal to dump trash along Town streets. This can range from soda cans and coffee cups to tires and construction debris. All this trash must be collected and disposed of in order to maintain a livable community for a healthy and clean environment.

To report litter or illegal dumping, please call (301) 864-6080, 24-hours a day.


The Department of Public Works is responsible for the maintenance and replacement of all traffic control signs and street name signs on Town streets; this includes signs and pavement markings. Maintenance of traffic signals is the responsibility of the State Highway Administration (SHA).

To report damaged or missing traffic control signs or street name signs on Town streets, please contact our department (301) 927-1452.

To report any garbage, street, lighting, tree, storm-water issues, or other Town public infrastructure problems, please contact our Public Works Department.

Contact The Public Works Department

Purnell Hall
Public Works Supervisor