Alluding to the rich maritime heritage of the port town of Bladensburg, architectural references to the dynamic nature of water and its limitless potential are themes carried throughout the new two-story branch library. Two full-height glass curtain wall systems soar above the streetscape while a continuous masonry band grounds the structure, firmly anchoring it to the site. An abundance of glazing establishes a direct connection with the surrounding neighborhood, allowing pedestrians to glimpse the contemporary interiors of the library while at the same time directing views of the building occupants towards the exterior environment. The new branch library serves as a catalyst for the community, further advancing the comprehensive vision for redevelopment of the area.
The original branch was dedicated in October 21, 1978 in a 1920’s-era building that had formerly been the Bladensburg Elementary School and then the Board of Education Media Center.
Size: A 22,834 square-foot building – almost three times the size of the original building
Accolades: The first PGCMLS facility to be LEED Silver certified.
- Solar panels on the roof
- Permeable pavers
- Electric car charging stations
- Energy-efficient HVAC and lighting systems
Meeting & Study Spaces:
- Three study rooms
- One quiet room
- One meeting room
- 42 computers for the public
- Makerspace/Computer Lab
- Vending Café
- Two-sided fireplace – inside and outside
- Comfort room for nursing mothers
The theme of the children’s room is Discovery Harbor, which was chosen to commemorate the town of Bladensburg’s rich maritime history. The prow of a sailing ship (the USS Prince George) guides children into the area with nautical arrangements abound. Children can then guide the ship with the authentic ship’s wheel, sit inside reading niches in the shape of dinghies, steer the USS Prince George, or lay on a wooden dock and count the colorful waves hanging from the ceiling.
-1:00pm to 5:00pm